Every week, we get new reports of callers targeting EPUD customers and customers of the neighboring utilities, including new reports made this week. Calls can be from a live caller or a recording that threatens to disconnect the customer's power unless an immediate payment is made. These scammers can even make the utility's phone number falsely appear on your caller ID.
In the past, we've also received reports of a person posing as an EPUD employee and demanding payment from the customer in person.
Don't be fooled by scammers! BE SAFE AND REMEMBER:
- EPUD does not demand immediate payment by phone.
- If your account is past due, we may use an automated phone system to contact you but the ONLY message it will deliver simply asks you to call our office. No threats or demands EVER.
- Keep our phone number handy. If you get a call from someone claiming to be an EPUD representative and making payment demands or threatening to disconnect your power, hang up and call us directly: 541-746-1583.
IN PERSON SCAMS
- EPUD employees WILL NEVER demand or accept payment in the field.
- EPUD employees WILL NEVER demand entry to your home.
- If your account is past due and eligible for disconnect, an EPUD employee may leave a notice asking you to call our office but WILL NOT accept payment in person.
Please BE SAFE and know that we are here for you at 541-746-1583.