October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month, a time when computer users nationwide are reminded to protect their personal information while using the web. Below, we outline some of the measures taken at EPUD, as well as steps YOU can take, to keep personal information safe.
CYBER SECURITY AT EPUD
- EPUD maintains a layered defense strategy of technical, operational, and organizational controls.
- To protect against the threat of cyber attacks, a series of technical defenses are utilized, including a secure firewall, intrusion detection systems, Internet content filtering, and up-to-the-minute spam filters.
- Physical security is a critical component of cyber security. Alarm and video surveillance systems are installed to detect and alert on intrusion.
STEPS YOU CAN TAKE TO STAY SAFE ONLINE
- Keep security software current: Having the latest security software, web browser, and operating system are the best defenses against viruses, malware, and other online threats.
- Make passwords long and strong: Combine capital and lowercase letters with numbers and symbols to create a more secure password.
- When in doubt, throw it out: Links in emails, tweets, posts, and online advertising are often the way cybercriminals compromise your computer. If it looks suspicious, it’s best to delete it.