Emerald PUD Selected for Superior Leadership
May 21, 2012
Emerald People’s Utility District (PUD) caught the attention of the Northwest Public Power Association (NWPPA). The NWPPA Awards Committee selected Emerald PUD for the Paul J. Raver Award for community service. This award is given to an individual or organization that has shown superior leadership in the betterment of cities, communities, states, or regions.
Emerald PUD’s community involvement spans decades from joining in community events to supporting efforts to help local residents.
“Connecting with the community is a value at Emerald,” said Emerald’s General Manager Frank Lambe. “We strive to be an active and participating member in the communities we serve.”
Emerald PUD focuses on organizing and participating in projects that will have a direct impact in the communities it serves. During 2011 Emerald PUD organized and/or participated in the following:
- Arbor Day - Employees joined 25 third and fourth-grade students in planting five power-friendly shade trees on school grounds.
- Earth Day - Emerald PUD hosted a wind and solar power activity booth at a local Earth Day celebration.
- Coats for Kids - Employees donated $300 to purchase 18 warm winter coats to children who did not have a coat for the winter season.
- Relay for Life - Employees formed a team of 14 to walk laps for 24 hours and raised $2,266.50 in support of the American Cancer Society.
- United Way - Employees donated $23,818 to help members and agencies in the communities they serve. This was an 18 percent increase from 2010.
- United Way Day of Caring - Employees updated the landscaping at a local Boys & Girls Club.
- St. Vincent de Paul Holiday Joy - Nine employees donated more than $200 to provide presents and household staples to a local family in need during the holiday season.
- St. Vincent de Paul Summer Camp - Employees donated supplies for the summer camp and volunteered to help with some of the camp activities.
- Junction City Local Aid Food Drive - Employees donate 219 pounds of food to a local agency in need.
- Salvation Army Giving Tree - Employees donated gifts to children in need during the holiday season.
When you give, you get. Each of these projects gave the employees the opportunity to learn more about their communities, develop relationships, and see first-hand how their contributions were making a difference.
In addition to organizing and participating in local projects, Emerald PUD provides EmPOWERing Scholarships to Customer-Owners interested in pursuing a career in the utility industry. Emerald PUD is focusing its energy and funds to build interest in utility careers to ensure the future workforce is trained and ready to take over when power industry workers begin to retire. Emerald PUD provides five $1,250 scholarships each year and recently awarded 2012 recipients at a ceremony May 8.